2022 Free Tax Preparation Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) Program
It's income tax time! Wyandotte County K-State Research and Extension is again partnering with a community site to host the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program. Get your VITA Tax Preparation lists here! Lists are available in Spanish and English.
What is VITA?
The VITA Program generally offers free tax help to people who need assistance in preparing their own tax returns.
IRS-certified volunteers provide free basic income tax return preparation with electronic filing to qualified individuals in local communities. All VITA site staff are trained and certified to complete federal income tax returns, as well as returns from any state. They can inform taxpayers about special tax credits for which they may qualify such as Earned Income Tax Credit, Child Tax Credit, and Credit for the Elderly or the Disabled. VITA sites are generally located at community and neighborhood centers, libraries, schools, shopping malls, and other convenient locations.
Who Qualifies for Free Tax Assistance
Anyone whose household income is $55,000 or below may have their state and federal income tax returns completed and e-filed FREE of charge.
All VITA site staff are trained and certified to complete federal income tax returns, as well as returns from any state. Taxpayers are assisted on a first come-first served basis, no appointment is needed.
Special Services Available
- Servicio Disponible en Espanol
- Interpreting for the deaf can be available with prior notice
- Arrangements must be made a week in advance
What to Bring With You
Having all documentation for identity and income is ESSENTIAL to completing the income tax return efficiently the first time.
- Photo identification
- Social security cards for every member of the household
- Your income information (such as your W-2's and 1099's)
- Last year's tax return
- Your bank routing number and account number (to take advantage of direct deposit for any refunds) Bring your checkbook!
- Taxpayers must provide documentation of health insurance for every family member.
- Health insurance must meet the Minimum Essential Coverage (MEC) requirements of the Affordable Care Act (ACA).
- Proof of MEC may be found on a Form 1095-C if insurance was obtained through a large employer, or
- On a Form 1095-B if insurance is purchased through a small employer, purchased on the open market, or provided through Medicare or Medicaid, or
- On a Marketplace Form 1095-A, if insurance was purchased through the ACA Marketplace.
DIY — Do it Yourself
Would you rather prepare and e-file your federal and state income tax return yourself, for FREE? If your total household income is less than $60,000, you may do so by using www.myfreetaxes.com/kc to get started!
Research has shown that people who complete their own income tax returns have a better understanding of how their behaviors affect their financial well-being, and take actions to improve their financial well-being as a result.